[Amc-wm-cyclists] AMC Western Mass. Chapter Bicycling Season 2023 NEWS!

bicycling at amc-wma.org bicycling at amc-wma.org
Fri Mar 17 10:50:39 PDT 2023

Hi all bicyclists!

Very soon we will be starting our bicycling season.

Your bike trip leaders have developed a schedule of 3-5 rides a month from
April to September.

Our Chapter has a new web site that we are still learning how to use.
Therefore, we maybe tweaking the bicycling web page more than usual due to
our learning curve.

For your convenience, below are the April rides that are listed on the AMC's
activities database.

1.	Hidden Sunderland Ride-Spring Warm-Up (registration opens
18-Mar-2023)

Location: Sunderland, MA
Date: 08-Apr-2023
 <https://activities.outdoors.org/search/index.cfm/action/details/id/143486>
Click here for more information

This is an early season spring season ride is only for experienced cyclists.
This is not an introductory ride as those are listed elsewhere in the
calendar. --- See the rural aspects of Sunderland and enjoy some very quiet
roads. There will be a couple of challenging, but short climbs. We ride
counterclockwise in this loop through Montague Center, Turners Falls and Old
Deerfield. The ride will be at a pleasant pace as we begin to work our way
into the 2023 cycling season. We will keep the group together riding at a
moderate 11-13 mph average regrouping/stopping for a snack along the way.
You will need a road bike in good working order, a helmet, snack, water, and
tube to fix a flat.

2.	Sunderland to Montague & Back Ride - (registration opens
25-Mar-2023)

Location: Sunderland, MA
Date: 15-Apr-2023
 <https://activities.outdoors.org/search/index.cfm/action/details/id/143487>
Click here for more information

Ride north from Sunderland and enjoy rolling hills as we make our way
through Deerfield, Turners Falls and Millers Falls with a nice rail trail
crossing of the Connecticut River before turning back to Sunderland. This
25-mile ride provides quiet rural roads, interesting scenery, and village
centers. We will keep the group together riding at a moderate 11-13 mph
average regrouping/stopping for a snack along the way. You will need a road
bike in good working order, a helmet, snack, water, and tube to fix a flat.

3.	Sunderland - Intro. To Recreational Road Riding - (registration
opens 5-Apr-2023)

Location: Sunderland, MA
Date: 29-Apr-2023
 <https://activities.outdoors.org/search/index.cfm/action/details/id/143488>
Click here for more information

This is specifically intended for people who are new to outdoor recreational
group road cycling. This trip will be 13.5 miles in length and mostly flat.
The activity difficulty level as defined by AMC will be RELAXED. The pace
will be comfortable (10-11 mph average), and we will keep the group
together. Before riding, we will present a group safety talk followed by
basic instruction including a bike operation and helmet fit check and a
review of efficient pedaling and gear shifting techniques. This training
will help build your confidence, ensure you can maintain your bicycle in
good working order, and prepare you for more challenging rides later in the
season.

More to come!
We very much look forward to seeing you on a ride soon!

Janine, Bicycling Committee Chair/Trip Leader